Assisted Reproduction and Surrogacy in Law in Ukraine
- Surrogacy in Ukraine is absolutely legal and is regulated by the Family Code of Ukraine and other legislative acts. Intended Parents will be able to make their dream about parenthood come true in Ukraine. Clause 2 of Article 123 of the Family Code of Ukraine indicates the origin of the child born by the Surrogate Mother after applying artificial reproductive technologies with the use of gametes of the married couple and defines this couple as legal parents of the child. Clause 3 of the same article establishes the possibility for the couple to use
- egg or semen donor in IVF programs, and future embryo in any case will be considered as the one who originates from the Intended Parents. In Addition to the Law of Ukraine "On transplantation of organs and other anatomic materials of human" from July 16, 1999 it is mentioned that the spouses, who have consented to the use of assisted reproductive technology, have full parental rights and responsibilities in relation to children, who are born as a result of using these techniques.
What are the requirements for a woman to become a surrogate mother in Ukraine?
Under the Law of Ukraine, a woman, who has a wish to become a surrogate mother, should meet the following criteria:
- be between 18-36 years old;
- to have at least one healthy born child;
- be mentally and physically healthy;